Throughout February, the “Diversity Unlocks Innovation” campaign will feature Black defense innovators through profiles of emerging leaders, an educational speaker series for staff and NSIN program alumni, interactive social media opportunities for network followers to nominate pioneers in the industry, and many opportunities for interested communities to learn more and get involved.
Emerging Defense Innovation Leaders
- Pierce Robinson, CEO, Safe Source Energy; NSIN Foundry Alum
- Jovanda Patterson, UMASS Global MSW Student; NSIN Foundry Alum
- Kendrick Faison, CEO, SpatialGIS; NSIN Starts Alum
- Khari Harrison, Ph.D. Candidate, Texas A&M University; NSIN X-Force Alum
- Elbert Dockery, Tree Bytes, Founder & Software Engineer; NSIN Hacks 3x Finalist and Tech Squad Alum
- Gregory Coleman, Principal, National Security Innovation Capital; Former & Founding Director, NSIN Acceleration Portfolio
NSIN program alumni and mission partners are invited to join us February 25, 2022 at 1:30 p.m. for a virtual event, “Reducing Barriers to Entry and Increasing Outreach to Underserved Communities” with Farooq Mitha, Director of the DoD Office of Small Business Programs (OSBP). Registration information can be found here.
Black History Month Resources
Explore external resources about Black History Month and the contributions of Black servicemembers:
- DoD Black History Month Spotlight - The DoD recognizes the bravery and exceptional service of Black military and civilian personnel and celebrates the richness and diversity of their achievements during February and all year.
- BlackHistoryMonth.gov - This Web portal is a collaborative project of the Library of Congress and the National Endowment for the Humanities, National Gallery of Art, National Park Service, Smithsonian Institution, United States Holocaust Memorial Museum and U.S. National Archives and Records Administration.
- African American History - A special web collection from the National Archives that includes a deep collection of videos and unique online exhibits.
- Black History Month Profiles of Military Changemakers - A collection of stories ranging from the Tuskegee Airmen to Lt. Col. Harriet West Waddy who helped changed the status of “colored women” in the military.
- African Americans During Time of War - A DoD 2018 Black History Month commemoration featuring Private Cathay Williams, Private Howard P. Perry, Major Charity Adams, the Golden Thirteen, Fireman First Class Marvin Sanders, Second Lieutenant Marcella Hayes, General Colin Powell and Second Lieutenant Emily Perez.
- Black History Month Products from the Defense Equal Opportunity Management Institute - DEOMI shares posters, bookmarks, activity books and other downloadable resources.